Monday, January 30, 2012

The Soundtrack

     Monday again, time to link up with Stasha for Listicles. This week's topic is from Bruna over at Bees with Honey.

“If they were to make a movie of your life what would the soundtrack be like? Share 10 songs that best tell the story of your life. Be sure to include the period or event that each song represents”.


     I thought that this would be a breeze. I love music. I have a soundtrack in my head that gets me though each day. I suffer separation anxiety if I forget my iPod at home. Easy. uhmmm ..... Holy crap this is really hard.

     I listen to all kinds of music from Kodo drummers to the latest pop tarts, opera to full on gospel choirs. There isn't really a genre that I don't have a few favourites. I'm not sure if these really define my life but here are 10 songs that have some meaning for me.

Stay Awhile by The Bells. This is the first song I remember listening to on my parents record player. I had no idea they were a Canadian group or that Frank Mills, my father loves him, was a one time member.

Maxwell's Silver Hammer by the Beatles. I loved this song as a kid. I'd listen to it over and over and over. What other songs figure prominently for the late 60's early 70's? Knock Three Times on the Ceiling by Tony Orlando and Dawn, Sugar Sugar by the Archies, ABC by the Jackson 5, Tijuana Brass, Astrud Gilberto, The Supremes, I could go on and on, All selections from my parent's LP's, the original hipsters.

Moving along, Boogie Woogie Dancin Shoes, by Claudia Barry. I laugh every time I hear this. My cousin Sherry had a pair of those furry winter boots, you know the kind that make you look like your wearing gorilla feet. She would wear them and dance to that song. Another Sherry favouite, Saturday Night by the Bay City Rollers. She even had the pants with the plaid cuffs, LOL.


A close match to those boots.

I lived through the disco era. Knock on Wood, Hot Stuff, Call Me, Ring My Bell, Born to Be Alive, Le Freak, just to name  a few.

This is the first music I remember buying, a cassette of Meatloaf's, Bat Out of Hell. A highschool classic.



Don Mclean, Kim Carnes, Bonnie Tyler, the Knack, the Cars, Supertramp, the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac and every high school dance ended with the classic slow dance by Led Zepplin, Stairway to Heaven.

There was Start Me Up by the Stones or Don't Bring Me Down, by ELO blasting away in the arcade as Beenie and I went through a fortune in quarters playing Joust, Asteroids and Pacman.

And there were the B52's, Elton Motello and  Eurythmics, I love Annie Lennox, still do.

If you are a big fan of any of these bands, artists or songs and are wondering about it being such a mish mash of time lines, I grew up in the middle of no where, before the internet. It was not uncommon for us to be years behind in "new" releases or music.

Before I leave home, there is one more, Babe We're Gonna Love Tonight by Lime. I spent a summer in an immersion program in Quebec when I was 16, this song was huge. They'd play it, the dance floor would fill, people would be blaring those air horns, it was like being at the circus. I still have it on my iPod, a reminder of an awesome summer and the people I met. I can't believe I've been listening to it for 30 years, it still makes me smile.

In the mid 80's, I went from the farm to the city and my musical horizons exploded. There were the Mod,  Punk, Metal, New Wave, Dance, Rockabilly and the stay up all night until the subway re opens clubs.

This song by the Jayne Country or this by the Dead Kennedy's always make me ROFL. Why? A friend of mine, if she had had a bit too much to drink, would close one eye so she could focus. She also loved both bands, hardcore, and would always sing along. There is something just ridiculously absurd about a one eyed chanteuse singing filthy lyrics that it makes me die laughing.

I was introduced to Nina Simone, Edith Piaf, Grace Jones, Billy Holiday, Etta James, Holly Cole and Patsy Cline. I lived across the hall from a then emerging Blue Rodeo. I listened to Madonna go from this to cultural icon. My friend Louise and I split the cost of that album because neither of us wanted to shell out the price for an unknown artist.

There were the Spoons, Prefab Sprout (well covered by Smashmouth), Jane Sibbery, the Pyschedelic Furs, Bryan Ferry, New York Dolls, Shriekback, U2, INXS, Depeche Mode, the Smiths, P.I.L. and David Sylvian to name only a hand full.

The pop tarts, Madonna, Jody Watley, Whitney Houston, Scritti Politti, Boy George, Divine, Wham, then just George Michaels, Paula Abdul (yes she had a singing career), Nena and those f$$kin' 99 balloons, Katrina and the Waves, Bananarama, Samantha Fox,  and Luba (my friend Paul went to high school with her, dubious claim to fame LOL).

I saw my first opera and fell in love. Live theatre, operettas and musicals. I was a cultural sponge, soaking it all up. I remember taking this home as an EP, Madame Butterfly by Malcolm McLaren. My Dad loved it. I thought he was so cool and progressive. In the same vein was the haunting Ofra Haza's, Im Nin'Alu.

Fast forward past the boy bands and Idol winners to what I'm listening to today. I still like my pop tarts,
Brit, David Guetta is brilliant, P!nk letting us know we're Perfect and urging us to Raise Your Glass. The current top of my chart, hands down, LMFAO. Party Rock Anthem for toe tapping, hair dancing fun and Sexy and I Know It, for good ole himbo hijinks.(and it's good to know F.E.S. still can get work after Lindsay and That 70's Show)

I'd be remiss if I didn't give a shout out to Dolly for Jolene. WTF, two of my housemates sing this all the time. I'll admit it is preferable to the My Pussy song complete with a million verses and accompanying dance moves inspired by that crazy woman in the subway, but only just.

As you can see, I'm surrounded by music. I guess James Cameron is going to have to do the epic, never ending movie, or maybe a trilogy. I'm way over my 10 songs.

What has your toes tapping?

30 comments:

  1. This seemed like the history of music. I think you've included everything! I'm the same way...I like songs from all different genres of music.

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scary think is I think I only scratched the surface. The history of music in my life LOL Almost 5 decades worth

      Delete
  2. WOW! GREAT list! You covered a lot of genres and time!! Awesome :) By the way, I also get separation anxiety if I leave my ipod....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, I feel like I've lived a lot of time after reading along with everyone else LOL Here's to never being without our iPods.

      Delete
  3. Wow. You know your music. "Knock Three Times on the Ceiling" made smile. I think we had the 45. And then the Tijuana Brass. My mom LOVED Herb Alpert. Even as a little girl, I thought him pretty cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't pick just 10. As I was getting ready to post and listening to songs, all these memories just kept popping up. One constant in my life has been music, of any kind. LOL

      Delete
  4. Paul, the types of music (albums, artists, etc.) you covered speaks to me loudly. (Turn it down!) Having read many of the other posts tied to this list, I was left feeling old. Alas, I gather you are old, too. (I say nicely.) Ring my Bell ... hilarious! I remember singing that over and over again. I heart Supertramp - to this very day.
    Your taste is excellent. Thank you for taking me back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer to think of it as maturing. Who am I kidding, okay getting older LOL Ring my Bell brings back such vivid memories of highschool dances and Tara. She loved, Loved that song(and knock on wood)

      Delete
  5. Tony Orlando and Dawn! Talk about blast from the past. LOL

    Love, love, love the variety of music you've got in here! Some great, some not so great, but so fun to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go waaaay back. Music is like being at a buffet, I like to sample everything. I never claimed to have good taste, LOL, just broad.

      Delete
  6. You've answered a lot of questions for me, like, the other day when Knock 3 Times started playing in the grocery store and...I knew all words? Huh? blame it on a family corn roast? Then Sugar, Sugar came on: same deal. Must be the same reason why I know the entire Meat Loaf album, but never bought it myself.

    But I do know for sure that I have you to thank for Depeche Mode (you spin me round, Everthing counts), U2, The Smiths, Bryan Ferry, and the Psych. Furs because you listened to them at our house. Um, yeah, I may have played them when you were out. once, maybe twice. Everyone else at school was listening to the pop tarts: and I couldn't stand Wham, Madonna, or Michael Jackson at the time. Eternally grateful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, glad I could help broaden your musical horizons LOL I miss my Psych Furs albums... I wore out two copies of Mirror Moves.

      I have you and your mom to thank for that Shaun Cassidy concert LMAO

      Delete
  7. This post made me want to crank up the music and par-tay! Pink and her Perfect made my list too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do it all the time, dancing around, where no one can see me LOL I highly recommend it.
      I like a lot of P!nk's music, sure she'd be thrilled.

      Delete
  8. Oh my, I remember Ofra Haza and Nena's balloons!! In fact I am tapping my fingers thinking of it. What a variety, what a fun list! You Paul, are such a superfly dude to 'hang out' with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like your soundtrack is a boxed set, just like mine! So hard to choose just ten, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you can see I couldn't Reading through other lists I kept going Oh how could I have fogotten.... Like mine wasn't long enough already. K Tel will have to distribute it LOL

      Delete
  10. Love the Party Rock Anthem and I CAN'T BELEIVE I LEFT PAULA ABDUL OFF OF MY LIST! What was I thinking? I definitely have to do a second list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is impossible not to like LMFAO. Now I have Opposites Attract coursing through my brain LOL

      Delete
  11. Prefab Sprout!! I LOVED that band. And weirdly, just today, I saw yet another reference to Jane Siberry, a singer whose "When I was a boy" album was my slave tape for almost a year...hadn't thought of her for years and then today, twice. Lattice of coincidence anyone? And I think if we were to put it to a vote, that "Paradise by teh Dashboard Light" is one of the great all-time teen anthems that even doddering almost fifty-year olds really, really like to sing LOUDLY in the car. great list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO, you are one of two people I know who even know they exist. They were the best. What ever happened to Jane? Mimi on the Beach, classic. I saw her in concert, years ago, completely engaging. Paradise by the Dashboard Light, what can I add. It was highschool.

      Delete
  12. What a classic, well-rounded progressive list - I love it! Meatloaf + poptarts! Now seriously, no one can ever say you are closed-minded. (-:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ado, no one has ever said I had a mind either though LOL

      Delete
  13. Have never heard Boogie Woogie Dancing Shoes...but I like it...will be putting on playlist "Dance"...thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome. The music video is pure 80's MTV in it's infancy. How things have changed.

      Delete
  14. Your list is crazy. I love it! Jolene might be one of the best songs ever. But only by Dolly Parton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to pass that along, hopefully they'll stop singing it. In the same vein, Fist City by Lorretta Lynn or D.I.V.O.R.C.E. by Tammy Wynette. thank all that is holy they don't know those lyrics.

      Delete
  15. Wow you have such a great list! Its amazing! And there is nothing wrong with a little toe tapping music :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment, I hope you enjoyed your time in the "Kitchen".