Saturday, December 3, 2011

Sweet Saturday, Caramel Corn

     I love to give home made gifts, more often than not the edible kind. This is a recipe for a gift that was given to me. The holiday bake offs and the resulting exchanges of cookies, cakes, fudge, candies and other delicious goodies are truly one of the holiday traditions I look forward to most. Even people who don't normally cook seem to have that one recipe they dust off and, voila, perfection.

     This is from my good friend Erin. It is her mother's recipe and I was lucky enough  to get not only the gift to eat but the recipe as well. I'm warning you ahead of time this is an "I can't stop eating this" recipe. It took iron will power not to eat the whole bag the minute I opened it. Considering my preserves were confiscated at the airport on her way home, I think I came out ahead on this one. LOL


Erin and her mother Eva
Now I know where Erin got her smile


All dressed up for their debut in my kitchen.
Okay, maybe not, but another picture of the lovely Psota women



     Here it is the Psota family recipe, as I received it.

Caramel Corn
- this is the original recipe - I usually add about 1/2 more popcorn and nuts and then double the caramel

Ingredients
3 quarts popped popcorn
1 cup almonds (I usually get the salted)
1 cup pecan halves
1 cup cashews (again, I like the salted)
½ cup butter
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp. vanilla
Directions
1) Combine popcorn and nuts in a lightly buttered roast pan.
2) In saucepan, melt butter over low. Add sugar and honey. Bring to boil.
Boil for 5 minutes without stirring.
Remove from heat. Add vanilla (it will splatter) and stir well.
3) Pour over popcorn and stir until evenly coated - it will cover better as it continues.
4) Bake at 250 for 1 hour - stirring every 15 minutes.
5) Spread out to cool when removed from oven.
6) Break into pieces and store in an airtight container.

     The secret to to Erin's Mom's success is popping the popcorn on top of the stove old school.

     The combination of sweet and salty, not normally my taste, is amazing. You could use this for kid's party loot bags, Halloween, any festive occassion. Don't save it just for Christmas. From Erin's Mom's kitchen to yours. Enjoy.

     Any holiday recipes to share?

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment, I hope you enjoyed your time in the "Kitchen".