Sunday, October 2, 2011

One final walk around

     Sounds kind of ominous doesn't it. Not to worry, I'm only talking about my gardens.

     I really don't like this time of year, cooler weather, more clothes, shorter days. Everything is fading in the garden. Feverishly, I try and get the last of everything picked, preserved and eaten before the first killing frost. Yes, the leaves turn pretty colours, then you have to rake them up, but if you turn your eyes down everything is going brown and ratty looking.

     As gloomy as it makes me, there are still a few things making a show.

Grandma's beautiful little red dahlias
I'll have to dig them up after the first frost and store them until next spring



My blanket flowers still going strong
Best perennial seeding ever

Toad lilies, just coming out

One of the more unusual fall bloomers

     The garlic and winter onions are planted, clean up is on going, my fall gardening is almost complete. As much as it makes me sad to see it all go, I get it, even Mother Nature needs a rest. (And no more cutting the grass, Hurray)

     If it wasn't for the celebrations on the horizon, Thanksgiving, Halloween, my birthday and Christmas, I could skip fall altogether. As much as it is kind of nice to see the change of season, I've always wondered what it would be like to be in a place that was green and warm all year long. Every Canadian's dream.

     Take care and I hope you enjoy the autumn far more than I do LOL. Thanks for dropping by.


2 comments:

  1. I still have soom blooms showing off: for some reason my snapdragons finally bloomed - and my alyssum rebloomed, my geranium, asters, moms, daisies and a few rudbeckia blooms...but mostly everything is turning brown and dying.
    But my coral bell leaves are turning the fiery reds and oranges - love! And my hydrangea looks more like a burning bush. I also noticed one blue primrose that bloomed.
    Nature sure can be a fickle gal, but she always puts on a great show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All my annuals are still going, I even had my wall flowers or stock re bloom. First time ever for that. I just hate being reminded winter is just around the corner LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment, I hope you enjoyed your time in the "Kitchen".