Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Secret Ingredient - Homemade Salad Dressing/Mayonnaise

     It just isn't summer without deviled eggs, potato, macaroni or cabbage salad. All staples in my family. What makes ours, is the dressing. It is called mayonnaise or salad dressing at home and used as such. It isn't a mayonnaise exactly, it's cooked, or even a salad dressing , really. I'm not sure where this actually falls in the recipe categories or what it should be called. To my family, it's just delicious.

     My Grandma Fisher always used this, as do many of her children and my aunt Gladys also gave me a recipe. They are similar but different and I'm not sure I have ever had my aunt's to be able to compare the taste. Here are both.

Homemade Salad Dressing
Grandma Fisher’s recipe
Ingredients
3 eggs
½ cup milk
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
½ cup vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
Directions
Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
Continue boiling until mixture starts to thicken and mixture will coat a spoon..
Cool and refrigerate

Gladys’s recipe
Ingredients
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon dry mustard
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup vinegar
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup cold milk
Directions
Combine all ingredients in the top of a double boiler
Cook over boiling water until thick and smooth, stirring constantly.
Cool and refrigerate

     You can use this to replace some, or all of the mayonnaise in a recipe. That's what we do back in the "Valley". I'm not sure how long this keeps refrigerated, at least a week to ten days, it's cooked and has a lot of vinegar....  There was always some at my grandmother's, I'm not sure she ever used store bought mayonnaise. We swear by it, hope you enjoy it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment, I hope you enjoyed your time in the "Kitchen".