Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Rhubarb Cake

     This recipe is from my aunt Barb and is much like a sour cream coffee cake. It is relatively quick and easy and it always goes fast around here.


Just out of the oven,
Yes, I did a major cleaning to get the picture LOL
I'll post a picture of a slice if it last long enough

Ingredients

2 cups sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup softened butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sour milk*
2 cups flour
2 cups diced rhubarb, fresh or frozen

Topping

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg or allspice

Directions

Prepare a 9x13 pan
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Cream together butter and sugar.
Add egg, then milk, mixing until everything is well combined then add vanilla.
In a separate bowl, whisk flour and baking soda until well mixed.
Add to wet ingredients and mix until combined.
Fold in rhubarb and pour into prepared 9x13 pan.
Whisk topping ingredients together in small bowl until well mixed and sprinkle over the top of the cake.
Bake in 350 degree oven 45 minutes to an hour until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.

* To sour milk add a tablespoon of vinegar to a 1 cup measuring cup then fill with milk. Let stand 10 minutes then use. I usually use sour cream instead of the sour milk and have used yogurt as well or any combination of the three depending on what I have on hand. All three work.

     The only problem I have ever had with this recipe is in cooking time. The sugar crust will clean a toothpick as you remove it so I have under baked this recipe a few times. I ate it anyway, still delicious. As always I have reduced the sugar by 1/4 to 1/2 a cup, just a personal preference. You can mix any fruit into this and there are endless combinations, use what ever is fresh or strikes your fancy. I have also used this recipe as a base for a ginger peach cake with honey instead sugar that was good too. I'll post that during peach season. I also want to try this with maple sugar.

      However you decide, do try this recipe. I'm sure you'll agree, it's worth the effort. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment, I hope you enjoyed your time in the "Kitchen".