Sunday, November 7, 2010

Pineapple coconut squares

    The first recipe is for my grandmother's pineapple coconut squares. It is the one I was asked for most recently and is fairly easy as well.
     There she is in the center, on her 90th bithday, with my aunt Marlyn behind her, my cousin Wendy beside her and Harley down in front. Four generations all in one picture. This recipe is one of my favourites. My grandmother made them all the time and always packed them for us when we went to horse shows with my grandfather.

Pineapple Coconut Squares
Ingredients
Crust
2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine               
3 tablespoons sugar                                                         
1 egg                                                                                 
1 cup flour                                                                        
1 teaspoon baking powder  
Filling                                             
16 oz unsweetened crushed pineapple drained**
Topping
1 tablespoon melted butter or margarine
1 cup sugar*
2 eggs
2 cups coconut
Directions
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Mix together 2tblsp butter and 3 tblsp sugar. Beat in 1 egg. Combine flour and baking powder and stir into egg mixture. Mix until combined, the consistency of pie dough. Press into greased 8x11 pan. Spread drained crushed pineapple evenly over crust.
For the topping, mix together 1 tblsp butter and 1 cup sugar. Beat in 2 eggs. Mix until well combined and a little frothy. Stir in 2 cups coconut. Spread over pineapple and bake for 30- 40 minutes, or until golden brown.

* I reduce the sugar by ¼ cup
**Cans of crushed pineapple usually are 12 or 14 oz so I use one sometimes or two almost doubling the amount of pineapple. I have also used fresh pineapple pureed in a food processor. The choice is yours.
     Happy baking and I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.


My mom and cousin Sherry at God knows what horse show


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment, I hope you enjoyed your time in the "Kitchen".